Thursday, December 25, 2008

5 southern girl through & through


As far back as my ancestors traveled to America, my family line has lived in the south. It is the strangest thing to me that I find such a comfort in being in this area. I feel at home & comfortable anywhere in the south & almost everything else feels foreign to me. The south just feels like home to me & I honestly believe it's in my blood. I know one day I might not have control of where I live, but I can't imagine living anywhere else! That sounds bad, but I feel like living in a different part of the country is a culture shock I have still not adjusted to. I know everyone loves where they are from the most because that's where their memories & family are, that's why I feel like it's okay to post this publicly. I don't think Tennessee is necessarily better than other places, just better for me.

1. I love the warm, friendly, sincere people. When I went to BYU & saw people acting so stuck up, I was very confused because I had never been around that before. Here, there's no such thing as being exclussive. Everyone has a large circle of friends with all sorts of people.

2. A love/ hate relationship I have with living here is that i'm in the bible belt... oh yeah baby. Everyone is very religious. Everyone goes to church on Sunday. People are good about not being hypocritical either which is another thing that really bothered me about Utah. However, you better know your bible, because classmates have no problem grilling you!

3. Something bad that i've picked up from my Southern line... I can talk a hind leg off of a donkey. oh it's bad. I didn't even know I had a problem until I went out to BYU! Now when I'm done talking, i'll realize that I probably just said way more than was needed. So, I'm working on that i promise. But, you should be at a family reunion, wow! It's a bunch of the thickest accents you've ever heard going non stop. yeah, it's hard to get a word in...

Anyways, I just feel really at home in the south. Stick me in Alabama or stick me in Mississippi, I don't care. It just feels good.

"A southern girl is a girl who knows full and well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. After all, every girl wants to be treated like a princess. We know how to make sweet tea and grits while telling you everything about any football team in the SEC. We pick our battles and fight with the heart of a pit bull while still maintaining grace and elegance. Our mystique is that of a soft-spoken, mild-mannered southern bell who could direct an army, loves her momma and will always be daddy's little girl."



Looky there! It's Miss Josie Belle, My Great-Grandma who's still kickin! She's lived in Palatka, Florida her whole life. Oh, you haven't heard of Palatka? Well neither has 99.9998% of the rest of the world.
And the Southern Belles of all Southern Belles, my Grandmother Nancy Sue. What a babe. She lives with us in Nashville, Tennessee.

5 comments:

  1. And for Ashley Eckel's sake: ROCK ON EAST COAST! WHOOO! so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went to comment on how much I LOVE your new blog decor... and then smiled so big when I saw YOUR comment! Yay for the east coasters and YAY for your new playlist. Seriously. I LOVE your playlists. Rah rah

    ReplyDelete
  3. all yall who've heard of palatka say yeeeeeeah! YEAH! *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. i definitely have to agree with you here dani.... there is nothing better than the south!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...